"I dropped my iPhone in the toilet"
Don’t Panic! iPhone Repair Base can fix it for you. 🙂
Our iPhone water damage repair service is one of our most common repairs and we’ve been able to successfully return iPhones, iPads and iPods to their anxious owners as good as new.
We offer a free diagnostics on all water damaged devices.
When an iPhone is dropped or fell in liquid and the device comes into contact with water, two major issues occur.
- The first is an electrical short circuit. This happens when electrical current is allowed to travel along an unplanned path.
- The second issue that plagues a water damaged cell phone is one that you can’t detect right away. As the water in the device begins to evaporate and the phone dries out, small particles that were in the water get left behind. This leaves small deposits of residue behind on the hardware and will quickly cause corrosion. This residue and corrosion blocks important connections and creates unwanted new current paths.
What to do when drop iphone in water, toilet or other liquid, and your phone gets wet?
- DON’T TURN IT ON and DON’T CHARGE IT! This is very important. This one move can cause short circuits when current is pushed through the phone while it’s still wet.
- Gently wipe the phone with soft cloth.
- Bring it to us as soon as possible.
iPhone 5, 6, 6s, 7, 8, X SE water damage repair costs
The sooner we receive the phone, the better our chances of fixing it. Starting the cleaning process before the residue deposits begin to form will stop corrosion before it starts.
Things NOT to do with a wet phone
The following actions can mean the difference between a totaled phone or a survival story. You better be careful what you do. Before we jump into finding a solution, let’s try to prevent major failures you could cause.
- Do not turn on your phone, as we already mentioned. Electrical components don’t play well with water when phone is on. An iPhone dropped in water usually wont turn on, so you'd better not even try it.
- Don’t plug it in either! For the same reason.
- Don’t press any buttons. (except power button for turn off) This can push water further into the phone.
- Don’t shake or blow into the phone. This could also push water into deeper areas of the device. Especially try to avoid blow driers.
- Do not apply any heat to the phone. Remember excessive heat can also damage the phone. You don’t want to add more damage!
- Don’t move the phone around too much. You don’t want the water moving around inside the phone.
How to fix a water damaged iPhone 5, 6, 7, 8, X?
What about rice? I heard it helps...
No, the rice will not remove any liquid from inside your device. It’s an urban myth. Rice has actually got the potential to clog your charging port and the starch in the rice could in fact accelerate the corrosion process and cause motherboard damage. The best solution is to send it to our technicians at iPhone Repair Base for a full chemical clean. Don't take chances...
Water resistant cases
Hopefully this info will help you rescue your phone from death by drowning. If you want to protect your iPhone from water in the future, it might be worth getting a water-resistant case for your device.
Water resistant iPhones
It might be worth noting, that there are quite a few water resistant iPhone available to buy.
The following models are all water resistant:
iPhone 7 / 7 Plus / iPhone 8 / 8 Plus / iPhone X
Read the following Article: Are the iPhone 7, 7 plus and Apple Watch waterproof? What is IP67, IP68 water resistance?
Can a water damaged iPhone be fixed at iPhone Repair Base?
We are so confident in the quality of our service, that we also provide a warranty on every water damage repair we carry out. If you dropped iPhone 5s, 6, 6s in water and wont turn on, don't hesitate to bring or send your device to our repair service.
No Fix, No Charge
If we can’t get the phone operating well enough to get your data, then we won’t charge you anything.
Got other issues with your phone, like a cracked screen? Then click here to know more about getting it sorted.
We hope this article was useful. If you think it was, why not share it with your friends?
For any queries and suggestions, feel free to leave a comment below!