iOS 14.5 - What's NEW
You can download iOS 14.5 now. Here are some of the new features Apple's latest update includes.
How do I download iOS 14.5
You can do the following:
1. Open the Settings app.
2. Select General.
3. Tap Software Update.
When your device reboots, it will be running iOS 14.5.
What’s new in iOS 14.5
App Tracking Transparency
iOS 14.5 includes a big new privacy feature called App Tracking Transparency. This requires apps to get your permission before sharing your activity and data with websites and apps owned by other companies.
Most users are unaware that many apps even do this.
This sharing of data is often used for adverts, with Facebook, Google, etc for example making big use of it, but with App Tracking Transparency you’ll be able to opt out if you’d prefer. Apple is insisting that users still have full access to apps even if they do opt out of this.
Music app changes
This new feature allows you to use your own choice of music players rather than your Apple device defaulting to Apple Music,. But it isn’t a specific change you can make within a Settings menu.
So instead, Siri will use its learning of how you listen to music. When you ask it to play a specific piece of audio, it’ll then ask you where you want to listen to it.
Then it’ll gently integrate that into your future listening. So it’s likely to mean that in the future your iPhone will let you listen to music on Apple Music and podcasts on the Apple Podcasts app.
5G Global dual-sim support
The iPhone 12 added 5G support, but anyone using dual SIM mode was stuck with 4G speeds. That’s all changing with iOS 14.5, which adds Dual SIM support for 5G connectivity. So, you’ll now be able to connect both cards to 5G-enabled accounts.
Ready to keep track of your most important valuables? To use Apple AirTags – which let you track belongings using a Precision Finding tracking feature – you’ll need to download iOS 14.5.
New Siri voices
There are two new English Siri voices in iOS 14.5, and by default, Siri no longer has a female voice. So, users are able to choose a preferred Siri voice at setup.
After upgrading to iOS 14.5, the “Siri & Search” portion of the Settings app has an upgraded “Siri Voice” option. The “Accent” label has been changed to “Variety,” and there’s no longer a “Gender” selection due to the addition of extra voices.
This change also comes alongside two new voices for English-speaking users to choose from.
PS5 and Xbox Series X controller support
Mask support for Face ID
iOS 14.5 release notes
The full release notes for iOS 14.5 are as follows:
Unlock iPhone with Apple Watch
- Ability to unlock your iPhone X and later with Apple Watch Series 3 and later when you attempt to use Face ID while wearing a face mask
AirTag and Find My
- Support for AirTag to keep track of and find your important items like your keys, wallet, backpack and more, privately and securely in the Find My app
- Precision Finding uses visual, audible, and haptic feedback to guide you directly to your nearby AirTag using Ultra Wideband provided by the U1 chip on iPhone 11 and iPhone 12 models
- AirTag can be located by playing a sound via the built-in speaker
- The Find My network with hundreds of millions of devices can help you find your AirTag, even when it isn’t nearby
- Lost Mode notifies you when your AirTag is found, and you can enter a phone number where you can be contacted
- Support for separate skin tones for each individual in all variations of the couple kissing emoji and couple with heart emoji
- New face emojis, heart emojis, woman with a beard emoji
- Siri now includes more diverse voice options
- Incoming calls can be announced with Siri, including who is calling, when you’re wearing your AirPods or compatible Beats headphones, and you can answer hands-free
- Group FaceTime calls are supported by asking Siri to FaceTime a list of contacts or a group name from Messages
- Emergency contacts can be called by asking Siri
- App Tracking Transparency lets you control which apps are allowed to track your activity across other companies’ apps and websites for ads or sharing with data brokers
- Share your favourite lyrics using Messages, Facebook, and Instagram Stories, and subscribers can play the snippet in Messages without leaving the conversation
- City charts showcase what’s popular in over 100 cities from all over the world
- Podcasts Show Pages are redesigned to make it easier to start listening
- Option to save and download episodes, automatically adding them to your Library for quick access
- Download behavior and notification settings can be customized on a show-by-show basis
- Top Charts and popular categories in Search help you discover new shows
- Dual SIM support enables 5G connectivity on the line that’s using cellular data on iPhone 12 models
- Smart Data Mode improvements further optimize your experience on 5G networks for better battery life and data usage on iPhone 12 models
- 5G international roaming enabled on supported carriers on iPhone 12 models
- Redesigned News+ tab enables Apple News+ subscribers to quickly find, download, and manage magazine and newspaper issues
- All-new Search experience that helps you find relevant topics, channels, and stories
- Accidents, hazards, or speed checks along your route can be reported by telling Siri on your iPhone or on CarPlay
- Estimated time of arrival (ETA) can be shared when cycling or walking, in addition to driving, by asking Siri or tapping on the route card at the bottom of the screen, then tapping Share ETA
- Ability to sort reminders by Title, Priority, Due Date, or Creation date
- Option to print your reminder lists
- Translation playback speed can be adjusted by long pressing the play button
- Xbox Series X S Wireless Controller or Sony PS5 DualSense Wireless Controller support
- Ability to stream audio and video content from Apple Fitness+ workouts to AirPlay 2-enabled TVs and devices
- ETA in Apple Maps can be easily shared while driving with new Siri or keyboard controls in CarPlay